YOUR MOVING CHECKLIST
In the Months Before Your Move
- Start using up food in your pantry and refrigerator.
- Begin getting rid of things you don’t want to move by having a garage sale or donating things to Goodwill.
- Contact schools, pharmacies and healthcare providers in order to transfer your records or get referrals.
- Begin to plan how you will move your vehicles and other valuables (especially for long distance moves).
- Decide if you will storage after your moveand begin making arrangements.
- Begin making any needed home repairs.
- Begin creating a list of all the items you will need to insure(include serial numbers when available.
- Begin getting packing materials (I.e.- boxes, newspapers, tape, bubble wrap, etc.)
In the Weeks Before Your Move
- Return anything you may have borrowed from any neighbors.
- Schedule the turn on and turn off of your utilities: Phone, Internet, Cable, Water, Garbage, Gas, and Electric services.
- Fill out a Change of Address form at your local post office.
- Contact companies that carry your accounts to notify them of your new address.(Credit Card Companies, Insurance Companies, etc.)
- Begin packing. (Make sure to label all your boxes)
- Clean the house as you pack.
- Separate valuables that you will take with you.
- Keep out things you will need before the move. These may be packed in a separate box. (I.e.-clothes, toiletries, child toys, pet items etc.)
- If needed, inform your place of employment of any time off required for the move.
- Let children assist in packing their things.
- If you have pets make arrangements for their boarding on moving day and their transportation.
- Confirm dates/times with your movers.
- Refill all prescriptions.
- If moving out of area, close bank accounts & empty safety deposit boxes (put all valuables in a safe location for move).
- Cancel home services: newspaper, lawn maintenance, cleaning services, etc.
- Begin deconstructing non-essential furniture.
- Make sure all paperwork for the old and new homes is complete and in proper order.
- Dispose ofall flammable materials such as unused paint, propane, gas, etc.
- Make sure you have enough cash to cover the move(food, lodging, moving, etc.).
- Keep your toolbox handy for last minute needs.
- Keep the boxes you are moving and valuablesseparate.
- Keep personal papers with you during move: birth certificates, social security cards, current bills, house information, etc.
- Make sure to have childcare available on moving day, if needed.
- Defrost and clean the refrigerator.
- Make an action plan for the day of the move (a complete schedule).
- Keep a bag of snacks and drinks handy for moving day.
- When the movers give them specific instructions.
- Once everything is on the truck do a walkthrough to make sure nothing gets left behind.
- Take inventory before the movers depart.
- Make sure the movers have the correct new address.
- Close up the old residence. (i.e.- lock windows & doors, turn off lights)
- When you arrive at your new home verify that all utilities have been turned on and are working properly.
- Perform an inspection of the new residence and note any damages or problems
- Perform a quick cleaning of the new home before you begin unloading furniture.
- Provide movers with specific instructions for where furniture/boxes should be placed..
- Begin unpacking.
After the Move
- Note any damages caused by the movers and watch the deadline for insurance claims.
- Change the locks on the new residence and make extra copies.
- Make sure that you are receiving your mail at the new address.
- Confirm all important contacts have your new address: family members, healthcare providers, financial institutions, insurance companies, periodicals, memberships.
- If necessary begin looking for new health care providers.